Monday, December 10, 2012

Kindness

This blog post has been a long time coming...

ONE quality I really try to be and that is KIND. So what does kind really mean? I could easily give you the definition is the dictionary but I will give you mine instead.  Being kind is more than being nice, it is opening your heart to opportunities especially to serve.  I think kindness comes through your eyes, your spirit, your actions, it gives you purpose, and it warms the heart.  I love being kind and thoughtful to those around me and those I do not know.   As I have reached out and been kind to people around me I feel that some may look at it as a sign of weakness. 




As many of you may not know, I truly try to be a sweet and kind hearted person.  I love to serve others and do as much as I can to help those around me.  I may not come across that way when you first meet me but I promise those are always my intentions.  So please know that it is not a weakness but an amazing strength.

Here are some funny examples oh how I was blindsided by just being kind...

I have an AMAZING job and get to do so many fun things and have the opportunity to invite friends and family to share these experiences with them.

AND that is exactly what I have done, extended invites--- platonic ones, to come and enjoy somethings not all get to experience.

Let me enlighten you about how boys have made being kind really weird for me.

I got 4 tickets to the baseball game so what do I do? I take the boy that has been texting my everyday for the last month and tell him to bring a friend.  I figured then there was no pressure just wanted to get to know him a little better. I mean we were texting a lot, he did say he was going to take me on a date but he never asked. (So maybe I am the dumb one? You decide) After the game things were normal and kept chatting a bit.

Well my next event was coming up which was the first one I was in charge of felt a little pressure to make sure people would be there.  I, of course invited this boy among many others including his house full of boys.  Free food, I figured they would come, and they did BUT this is when it gets good... This boy brought another freakin BROAD to the event. I shouldn't be surprised but wait to my event? Hmmm I totally get it.  I thought it was truly funny, but seriously who does that??? I am glad I could facilitate a date night for you with her though! You sure owe me.  Yet I brushed it off and kept rolling with the punches, another dude down.  

Next up, some guy said  "Hey Court you should let me know when you do things with your friends I am feeling like I haven't been social and need to be." So what do I do? Invite this dude to things that I do with my friends. He came to one thing and so I shot out the next event his way.  I was going with a few friends and offered him to come tag a long.  So the day of the event I was just out and about and get a phone call.... Court like um don't be mad at me but uh I like started dating a girl and yeah this is just uh weird for me.  HAHAHA you idiot you asked me to invite you to things that I do with my FRIENDS.  I wasn't trying to take you on DATES, so please don't flatter yourself. (But maybe you shouldn't invite me over to your house at 11 PM cause that kind of makes you look like you have some underlying intentions... Just saying) I was being KIND, you asked me to include you sweetheart and that is exactly what I did.  I don't know where you got the idea I was just asking you to join JUST me?! But you're welcome! 

After these two experiences I felt like WOW seriously all I did was be nice, and kind to people around me and I get randomly slapped in the face, more like they hurt my brain because I was so dang confused. 

But has that stopped me from being nice, kind, and inviting people to events? NOPE! 

After these interesting experiences of course dealing with boys, I found myself preparing a Relief Society lesson on the Power of Kindness.  I realized as I read the words of the prophet that nothing bad will ever come from being kind to others.  I knew that being kind is a big part of what makes me happy and thankful that I am thoughtful and try to include all of those in my life even if it comes across to others differently.  

It wasn't only these experiences but along with many others that have taught me that being kind is so important.  No matter how hard being kind is, it is worth it.  Kindness has helped me be humble among other qualities. 


 Like my grandma always told me "Kill them with Kindness"
Amen grandma... I will always try to be as kind as I can be no matter what happens!


1 comment:

  1. Court I totally needed to read this today! I have been so caught up in my own drama and stress that I have totally been so negative lately! I am also a true believer in being kind and I know that it brings us more happiness in the end! However with your boy situation you should probably stop being so kind to lame guys haha they don't seem worthy of your kindness! I am excited to see you in a couple weeks I need to text you and let you know our AZ plans! Love you girly!

    ReplyDelete